CLARB - Council of Landscape Architectural Registration Boards
DHS - US Department of Homeland Security
HSW - Health, Safety, and Welfare
LARE - Landscape Architect Registration Exam
LAAB - Landscape Architectural Accreditation Board
LAAC - Canadian Society of Landscape Architects Accrediation Council
NSBLA - Nebraska State Board of Landscape Architects
PDH - Professional Development Hours
USCIS - US Citizenship and Immigration Services


How do I change my contact information with the Nebraska Board?

Contact information, with the exception of emails and name changes, can be updated by logging into your account on the Nebraska Licensing Portal.

If you have not set up your account, here are a few things to keep in mind:

  • A unique email address must be used for each account. Companies cannot use the same email address for multiple individuals as the email is the username.
  • Current licensees must use the email address on file with the Board when setting up their account. If you do not remember the email address on file or wish to change the email associated with your account, send an email request to our office prior to creating your account, as you will not be able to do so through the portal. 
  • You will be required to enter your full social security number in compliance with Nebraska Child Support statutes.
  • Addresses should follow standard USPS formatting, including the Zip+4 (i.e., 68509-5165). To look up your address, visit the USPS website.
  • Passwords must be at least 8 characters, consisting of an uppercase letter, a lowercase letter, a number (0-9), and a special character (!@#$%^&* only)

To change your email address, send an email request to our office with your license number, old email, and new email.

To change your name, send an email request to our office along with a copy of the legal document changing your name. Examples of acceptable documents include but are not limited to, a marriage license, court decree, divorce decree, or citizenship certificate. For divorce decrees, include the first page showing the case number, the page granting the name change, and the page with the judge's signature.

I am a legal alien as defined by USCIS; why do I need to supply the Board with a copy of my alien documentation?

Neb. Rev. Stat. Sections §§ 4-108 through 4-114 require all applicants for public benefits in Nebraska, including professional licensure, to provide documentation that they may be in the United States legally. The Board uses your documentation to verify your alien status with the US Department of Homeland Security. The application process cannot be completed until the lawful presence is verified.

My USCIS alien documentation is not current; will the Board still process my application?

The Board will not be able to process your application until your alien status can be verified with DHS. If we are unable to verify your status, you will receive notice from the Board that you will need to contact USCIS to update your status.

Does Nebraska require a CLARB Record for licensure?

Yes, you must have a CLARB record (Chapter 2 and Chapter 3 of Title 231 NAC).

How long does the licensing process take?

This will be determined by how your application is processed and when all required supporting documents are received in relation to the next scheduled Board meeting. Initial licenses meeting the CLARB Standards of Eligibility for Council Certification and those who hold a CLARB certificate may be issued administratively by staff on a conditional basis once the application file is complete and there are no issues that need to go to the Board for review. Formal approval will occur at the next scheduled regular meeting. The licensee may start practicing upon issuance of the conditional license.

All other applications must go before the board for approval. Approved licenses are issued within one week of the Board meeting at which the application is approved. To see when the Board will be meeting next, please visit our Meeting Information page.

Does Nebraska offer Temporary Permits?

No, Nebraska does not offer temporary permits. You must be licensed in order to practice in the state.

If I want to obtain my initial license in Nebraska, do I need to obtain approval from the Nebraska board before beginning the LARE?

If you have an LAAB or LAAC-accredited landscape architecture degree, you do not need Board approval to begin the LARE. You may register directly with CLARB.

If you do not have an LAAB or LAAC-accredited landscape architecture degree, you will need to apply to the Board for approval prior to registering to sit for the exam. Information on this process can be found on the Initial Licensure page. Once you have received approval, you may register for the exam directly through CLARB.

Are organizations/companies required to hold a certificate of authorization from the Board to practice or offer to practice in the State?

No, Nebraska does not require a certificate of authorization for organizations/companies to practice or offer to practice in the state.


Still have questions or have a suggested FAQ , please contact us.

Photo Courtesy of joelsartore.com