Renewing Your License
License renewals are valid for a period of two years. Renewal payments must be processed no later than December 31 to avoid a late fee. Licensees with last names beginning with A through L will have their license expire in even-numbered years (e.g., 20222024). Those with last names beginning with letters M through Z will have their license expire at the end of each odd-numbered year (e.g., 2023 and 2025).
All licensees must complete twenty-four (24) hours of professional development hours (PDH) every biennial renewal period. Licenses chosen for audit will be notified upon receipt of the renewal payment. The PDH requirements are outlined in Chapter 6 of Title 231 of the Nebraska Administrative Code.
Newly licensed landscape architects are exempt from the PDH requirement for their initial renewal period.
How to Renew Your License
All renewals must be processed online. Board staff cannot accept paper renewals or checks.
Professional Development (PDH) Requirements
All licensees, unless this is your first renewal,must complete twenty-four (24) hours of PDH on a biennial basis as outlined in Chapter 6 of Title 231 NAC.
Below are some key points to keep in mind when selecting a course for PDH hours:
- The Board has final authority with respect to the approval of courses and credits and does not pre-approve courses.
- The course should cover professional development for the purpose of keeping apprised of advancements and new developments in the professional service areas as defined by Neb. Rev. Stat. § 81-8,184(5) or ethics.
- A maximum of six (6) PDH may be reported as self-study. Self-study activities are defined in Board Rule 6.4 as reading professional journals, periodicals, or professional-oriented books; and visiting sites for observation of landscape architecture projects, research projects, ecological or land restoration projects, and natural environmental areas.
- One PDH is equivalent to at least 50 minutes of instruction;
- One International Association for Continuing Education Training (IACET) continuing education unit (CEU) is equal to 10 PDH;
- One semester credit hour of formal education is equal to 45 PDHS; and
- One quarter credit hour of formal education is equivalent to 30 PDHs.
For assistance in finding PDH offerings, the organizations listed on the Links of Interest page may be able to assist you. If you have any questions about license renewals or PDH requirements, please contact us.
Exemptions and Waivers
Professional landscape architects may be exempt from the PDH requirement for one of the following reasons:
- Licensees who have received or reinstated their license for their first renewal period.
- Licensees serving on active duty in the armed forces of the US or any state for a period exceeding 120 days in each calendar year of the renewal period;
- Licensees serving on active duty in the US armed forces or any state for a period exceeding 120 days in only one calendar year are exempt from obtaining half the required PDH.
- Supporting military orders must be furnished to the Board before a military exception being approved.
- Licensees experiencing physical disability, illness, or other extenuating circumstances as reviewed and approved by the Board. Supporting documentation must be furnished to the Board before a medical exemption being reviewed and approved.
- The Board may, at its discretion, waive the PDH requirement for any licensee.
The Board has established the number of licensees to be randomly selected for an audit of their professional development hours (PDH). Licensees will be notified if they have been selected for an audit once the renewal payment is received.
Licensees selected for an audit must successfully complete the audit in order to have their license renewed. If the audit is not successfully completed by the license expiration date, the individual will not be authorized to practice in Nebraska unless and until the audit is successfully completed and the license renewed.
If you are selected for an audit, you will need to submit:
- A log of PDH credits claimed for the biennial renewal period; and
- Attendance verification records, such as completion certificates or other information documenting evidence of attendance; or
- Records/transcripts maintained by CLARB, LA CES, ASLA, or other professional organizations.
Once received, the documentation will be forwarded to a board member for review and approval. If the approver requests additional information, the licensee will be contacted.
If any hours are disallowed, the licensee will be granted a period of time, as determined by the Board, to substantiate the original claim or to earn additional hours to meet the minimum requirement. PDH used to satisfy a deficiency may not be used to meet the PDH requirement for the next biennial period.
Maintenance of records used to support PDH is the licensee's responsibility and may be requested by the Board for audit verification purposes. Please do not send records to the Board unless notified you have been selected for an audit. Required records include, but are not limited to:
- A log showing the type of activity claimed, sponsoring organization, location, duration, the instructor's or speaker's name, and PDH earned;
- Attendance verification records in the form of completion certificates, or other documents supporting evidence of attendance; or
- Records related to professional development maintained by CLARB, LA CES, ASLA, or other professional organizations.
If you have questions regarding renewals or PDH requirements, please contact our office.