Renewing Your License
License renewals are valid for one calendar year and are due by December 31st. Notices are sent to all Nebraska licensed landscape architects no later than October. If you do not receive a renewal notice or have had a change of address, you should contact the Board office. Licensees licensed during the calendar year are also required to renew their license.
All licensees, except those newly licensed in the current calendar year, are required to complete and submit a log of fifteen (15) hours of professional development hours (PDH) with your renewal payment. The PDH requirements are outlined in Chapter 6 of Title 231 of the Nebraska Administrative Code. You may list your hours on the back of renewal form, attach a LA CES or CLARB transcript, or other type of log to your renewal. Note: If you are attaching a log or transcript, please ensure it includes the same information as requested on the back of the renewal form to avoid any delay in processing your renewal. If you have attained your hours at a conference (i.e. an ASLA regional or annual meeting), you will need to list the individual sessions attended and not just the number of hours attained. Completion certificates are not required to be submitted with your renewal.
Mark any changes to the renewal notice. Complete and return the form with your renewal fee before December 31st. Your renewal must be received by this date to avoid a late penalty.
All PDH submittals are reviewed for compliance by the Peer Review Committee which consists of three licensed professional landscape architects appointed by the Chair. The review process is as follows:
- The committee meets in early January to review submittals;
- The committee submits its recommendations for accepting, denying, or requesting further information on individual submittals no later than two weeks prior to the scheduled January board meeting;
- The Board reviews the committee's recommendations and takes action to accept, deny or request further information. Once approved, licenses are renewed and licensees notified.
- If further information is requested by the Board, the licensee will be notified of the request and given a specific time period in which to reply. Re-submittals are reviewed by the Board Chairperson for approval or rejection. If approved, the license will be renewed and the licensee notified. If rejected, the licensee will also be notified with the reason for rejection.
Renewals and PDH submittals received after the Peer Review Committee has met are forwarded to the Committee Chair for approval and then to the Board Chairperson for approval. If approved, the license will be renewed and formal Board approval of the PDH will occur at the next scheduled board meeting.
Licensees are required to keep copies of all PDH completion logs and supporting documents for two (2) years. Copies of support documentation are not required and should not be submitted with the renewal payment unless the licensee is selected for further audit. An individual licensee may be asked by the Board to submit additional documentation or hours to support their original log submission.
Helpful hints in recording your PDH log:
- Do not submit hours for courses not relevant to the profession of landscape architecture or professional development if it is not related to the practice.
- If hours are earned at a conference, submit only the hours certified on your certificate or the actual hours attending a lecture (50 minutes of class/lecture = 1 PDH).
- Acceptable PDH activities include courses from collegiate level institutions, professional level seminars, conferences, study tours, and self-paced continuing education programs.
- Self-study involves reading professional material or utilizing self-guided tours for observation of landscape architectural projects, research projects, ecological or land restoration projects and natural environmental areas. Only four (4) hours may be submitted for self-study activities.
- Self-paced activities involve participation in a structured training program, administered by a professional organization or educational institution. The programs typically involve the individual study of provided materials followed by an examination testing the participant's understanding of the subject matter. Study tours sponsored by professional organizations or educational institutions will be considered as self-paced activities and may not involve an exam.
- When utilizing self-paced activities, the standard conversion is one (1) CEU = ten (10) contact hours or ten (10) PDHs. For courses with CEUs less than one full unit, each 1/10th unit is equal to one contact hour.
For assistance in finding PDH offerings, please visit one of the organizations listed on the Links of Interest page. The Board does not pre-approve any offerings.
If you have any questions about license renewals or PDH requirements, please contact us.