The requirements for initial licensure as a professional landscape architect in Nebraska are:
- A degree from a LAAB-accredited landscape architecture program, a degree from a LAAC-accredited program, or meeting the CLARB Standard of Eligibility for Council Certification.
- Passage of the LARE examination;
- Have established a CLARB council record with your education, examination, and experience verified; and
- Three years of progressive landscape architecture experience after graduation or meeting the CLARB Standard of Eligibility for Council Certification.
Applicants who hold a LAAB-accredited landscape architecture degree and wish to have their exam results reported to Nebraska may begin the LARE exam registration and approval process directly through CLARB without further action from the Nebraska board. Candidates who do not hold a LAAB-accredited landscape architecture degree must apply to the Board for approval to sit for the exam prior to registering with CLARB.
The requirements and application process to qualify to sit for the LARE in Nebraska without an accredited degree are:
- Submit an Application for Examination: Landscape Architects Registration Exam with the appropriate application fee;
- Have CLARB transmit your council record directly to the Board; and
- Have one of the following education and experience combinations:
- Non-accreted degree in landscape architecture plus one year of landscape architectural experience;
- NAAB-accredited architectural degree plus one year of landscape architectural experience;
- ABET-accredited civil engineering degree plus one year of landscape architectural experience; or
- Any bachelor's degree plus three years of landscape architectural experience.
Once the above has been received and verified, the Board will review the candidate's request at the next regularly scheduled meeting. The candidate will be notified of the Board's decision. If approved, the candidate may begin the exam registration process through CLARB.
Applying for Licensure
Once you have completed all sections of the LARE, met the education and experience requirements (CLARB's Standard of Eligibility for Council Certification) and are ready to apply for your initial license in Nebraska, you will need to:
- Request CLARB to transmit your Council Record to the Nebraska State Board of Landscape Architects; and
- Submit an Application for Licensure as a Landscape Architect along with the application fee.
Note: Applications with a non-LAAB-accredited degree who were approved by the Board to sit for the LARE, only need to submit an updated CLARB Record. No additional fee is required at this time.
Your application will then be submitted to the Board for its review and approval at the next regularly scheduled board meeting. Upon approval, a licensing fee will be required before your license is issued. Note: The licensing fee does not include your first renewal fee.
Obtaining a Seal
Licensees may use the company of their choice to obtain an official licensee seal. For your convenience, a list of companies who can assist you in obtaining your seal is available on the Links of Interest page. As an alternative, licensees may use an electronic seal has long as it meets the requirements as set forth in Chapter 5 of Title 231 of the Nebraska Administrative Code.
If you have any questions about the LARE/Initial Licensure requirements, please contact us.